Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Three Days In

Man, I am on a roll with this whole blogging-when-I-said-I-would stuff!
Also, I'm exhausted so this hopefully wont take too long.
Well The last two days were way better than the first! Not that the first was bad, it was just confusing.
Yesterday I was stationed with a woman named Beth who was very sweet and happy to answer questions.  She supervised me while I spec-ed some menswear tops and then had someone else supervise me doing pants. The woman she had supervise me was named Casey and she was so much fun, I saw her again today and she seemed just as happy. It's great to see someone so bubbly in the work force. And not obnoxious bubbly either, just goofy and happy to be there.
So, Beth had me work with menswear yesterday (which is why I was spec-ing menswear) and I helped two of the technical designers. There was a sweet little Korean woman who remembered me today and was very nice, and a man who looked hipster enough to be working there. He was also very nice. When I wasn't helping them I was back with Heather doing mail things which was easier the second time around. On Tuesdays we send out packages so I got to do that which was interesting and hectic and made a lot of noise (beware masking tape).  I even got to sit in on a fitting! It was fun to see someone else do it so easily. Also, it was menswear so the fit model was very cute. He was also very polite, he remembered my name and said it often, okay, maybe not often, but enough for me to know he knew me and that he was nice.
What was great about being in on the fitting was that I also met the design teams in charge of that particular shipment and got to hear their discussions about the mills and the pricing. I feel like I know enough to keep up but when they started talking in abbreviations like CMT, Poho and YY it got a little confusing. Especially YY. The only abbreviations I know that include "Y" is "TY" and "LY" which is"This year" and "Last year" respectively. Seriously though, what in the world is a YY?
This morning I caught a break in my transportation and made it in really early. I thought I was going to be with Heather again and since she wasn't in yet (she probably didn't catch any breaks in transportation) I opened myself up for Beth. Instead of giving me work she gave me this giant binder of company information and codes and abbreviations for seaming and POMs (point of measurement). I spent a while going over the book and making copies for myself before some real work came a long. It turned out that I was not with Heather but with Karen, a woman high up in the department. She is very sweet and was one of the people who initially interviewed me what back in January. She handed me off to the knitwear department who then gave me a lot of garments to photograph and spec which was a lot of fun. I like to feel like I'm helping. The only problem was that some of the things that I had to do confused me and my desk was like 5 rows over from theirs so I had to keep walking back and forth, interrupting their work and then dragging them back to my desk to help out for a minute or two and then repeat it all over again ten minutes later. I felt bad but they were all very nice and said they didn't mind. They probably did.
I ate lunch with my friends in the cafeteria and I will probably gain 30 pounds this summer because everything is big and delicious and bad for you.
On a side note, when I'm at the office I live off tea. Not sure why, I got myself one cup on Monday and about 4 cups yesterday, I think today I only had 2 but I had brought a water and bought a Coke so I was spoken for in more ways than one.
I spec-ed until about 6 when they more or less kicked me out.  I'm still not sure what my hours are supposed to be. Yesterday I stayed until 6 and they didn't need me so they told me I could go. Today, I was given a bunch of work around 5:30 and then ten minutes into it, the woman who gave it to me came over and told me that she didn't realize how late it was when she gave me the work and that I shouldn't get too into it as I should leave at 6. She also told me "not to get into the habit," of what I'm not sure, staying late? Maybe as an intern I only get paid until 5 so I shouldn't stay late, or maybe I do get paid but the company doesn't want to waste that much pay on an intern. I wont lie, one of the reasons I don't mind staying later is because I will (or at least I think I will) get paid more, but that's not it. I really enjoy working there. It's great to walk around all of the shelves and know that I am part of a company that is so important to my generation and age group. I like that everyone I meet seems to like working there. I even like the work, straight up. I was bopping on my ipod and doing specs and was sad when I was told I shouldn't stay any longer. I would've stayed until they didn't have any work left!
Oh well, maybe these hours will get settled once and for all next week when both supervisors come back. Hopefully I'll keep up the good work and update next Wednesday! Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment