Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I Still Love Work

Hey! I made it back again! I almost forgot, but not because I wasn't looking forward to being a consistent blogger, but because I went through most of today thinking it was Tuesday. Smooth.
So, the rest of last week was pretty much the same (already). I get in about 830 because I leave so early but if I leave late then I cut it close. I don't think anyone really cares, because of the super supervisors, I normally beat them in by 30-45 minutes. Everyone else is around and they have work for me to do so it's not like I clock in to be paid and just sit there. Actually I did that a little bit today but even though I got in later than usual no one was there. I read Pride and Prejudice on my Kindle Fire.
So, yes. Last week I already had a routine down. I walk in and I am either with Heather or Beth. If I am with Heather, I sometimes beat her by like 10-15 minutes so I wait for her by working for Beth. Last week I mostly worked with Lan and Pete (under Beth) and they are really nice. Now that they know me more they are even more friendly and Lan always seems happy so say hi and ask for my help. Pete too. He's cute.
I went to my friend's (another intern's) house last night to make tuna salad together for lunch today and we did the girly thing of talking about boys. Pete definitely came up. We both think he's adorable. Even with his oddly styled swoopy hair.
Anywho, so Pete stopped by my desk first thing this morning and gave me a couple of styles that did not need measuring (I hope, cause I didn't do that) but did need to be dated and approved on PDM, the product program that we use. So he told me it needed to be done today but not asap, which was good since I wasn't really his intern today ("his," sigh) and I was being handed over to a new woman named Mitzy. She is very nice and I've seen her every single day I've worked because her desk is right on the other side of mine. I had to spec an entire box of SMS (don't remember what that stands for, something about the factory/mill sample-standard mill sample??) and samples for approval that needed to be matched up and measured and commented on if there were any major changed. Supposedly my hours are til 5, I didn't finish the box until 515.
To be fair though I had other things to do in between. Like packaging. Speaking of, the new intern is here to help with that! Her name is Natalie and she has the desk behind me. She just graduated from design school and is very nice and helpful. When we do packages, I'm no longer with Heather which is kind of sad. Kathy, our supervisor is great, she interviewed me and is very pleasant, but I got to know and be comfortable around Heather as she is younger and more talkative but she doesn't really work in our section of the building so I don't see much of her anymore. She does pop by my desk sometime to snag some food (Mitzy and the girls in the aisle next to us always have some sort of snack) and she always makes short conversation. It's too bad that I don't really know how to be professional friends with someone, I like her a lot but I don't know what subjects are safe and how long we should be talking, plus I'm always measuring when she comes over so even though I'm happy to see her I can't work and talk at the same time. It's doable but I feel like I'm being rude and I don't sound interested.
So the first day with Natalie was a little awkward, same reason as above, I can't small talk and work at the same time. I felt rude that I wasn't really getting to know her but we're at work...so we should be working, right? I can't just stop and get to know someone when I have other people's deadlines to look out for. But I invited her to eat lunch with me and the other girls and she had already eaten, we tried on Tuesday but she got hungry earlier and ate at her desk with me, but then today we finally made it work! We stayed the longest out of everyone and lunch so we (I) could talk without worrying about work. I found out a lot about her school and dream job and what we thought of the company so it was nice. We're definitely more comfortable around each other. If I'm not using my laptop she'll put it away for me when she leaves and I get her laptop in the morning and we ask for each others help and chat a bit and it's nice.
Also, I know this is crazy early but I feel like they like me enough to hire me (as it's going so far-I can't say how my work ethic will be in 2 more weeks time). But yesterday Beth asked what year I was in. I told her I was a rising senior and kind of looked at me and made sure I'd be graduating next year and asked how I liked it here so far. I really like everyone in her department, I would not mind working there after graduation. There is one girl that I talked to on the subway is is in the knitwear department. She said she was an intern two years ago and that she's new this year. They had an opening and they remembered her and offered her the job, she really likes it and I hope sometime similar happens to me. The atmosphere is so nice, the people are great and helpful and fun and I just plug in my iPod and pretend I'm at my own sewing table at school (without the stress) and just bop around all day while getting paid. How could that sound bad?
I'm trying to think if I forgot anything...this entry is kind of a blur and out of order but I think I got the main details in. I'm not sure how different each entry will be since it's about work and I've already seemed to start repeating myself. I might end up making this my full time blog just cause I get excited and wanna share things and then realize is doesn't belong in this category and the not wanting to write another post and blah blah blah, but we'll see. I had an awesome weekend but not sure if I want to share that on here yet, so maybe it'll be in a new post soon or next week. This weekend should be cool too so I have to figure that out.
Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment