Monday, June 4, 2012

The First Day!

So I said I would post today and I'm doing it!
I know, I'm shocked too.
I'm also about to pass out, it's been such a terribly long day.
First I got up at 6, meaning to sleep in until 630 and instead slept til 645. It doesn't seem like a big difference but I hate to be rushed and I needed to be ready to go by 730.
So I jump out of bed! I wanted to wear a dress because it's the first day and I wanted to be pretty, but I stuck my hand out the window and it's so cold  out! Backup plan is a pair of jeans and a tank with a nice jacket.
I get up, get dressed and go make myself some peanut butter toast!
I wait for everyone to get ready and then we're off!
While I love the subway, it took longer than I had expected and I almost feel asleep on it (I didn't fall asleep until 2am last night-something I shall not repeat tonight).
We get there. There are 80 (!) interns this summer! It's quite amazing. While there are people starting at different times so I don't have a definite count, out of the 40 (or so) starting today, only 2 interns were guys, and one struck me as gay...the other struck me as British, so who knows.
We are greeted, fed breakfast and then we talk about the company and our plans.  This all takes from 845to 1. At 12 they served us lunch which was chicken enchiladas, beans and rice and guacamole. It was all delicious and I think I ate more guac than any one person should ever eat in a single sitting.
After that we finally got to go and start working! Luckily, or unluckily depending on your mind, I am in the main building which is open to the public and houses the cafeteria.
Both of my supervisors are out this week on vacation (fabulous planning), and so I got dumped on this poor girl named Heather. She was quite sweet and I enjoyed chatting with her and asking questions but you could tell she had a job to do and babysitting me was not it. I was made to do busy work, nothing terrible, just sorted the mail and sorted clothes into piles for sample sales.  Heather also took me of a tour of the entire building, we apparently have a gym that's open for use! It's actually really cool.
She shows me the outdoor eating area, the different departments in the main building and where she and I will work.
I was told that my internship would go from 9-6 everyday, but as my supervisors weren't here and Heather was not 100% sure on what I was to do told me that interns normally work 9-5 and that I could leave after spending 10 minutes watching her work on a spreadsheet, having finished all of my own sorting and organizing. As some of my new friends were in fact stuck there until 6, and I have a feeling that my schedule will change again once my supervisors return. Hey, more money, right?
I waited for some of my friends to get out off work and then we headed home on the subway together. I would have left earlier since I was the first done but after not paying attention on the subway ride there, there was no way in hell I would have been able to make the trip in reverse. After we got off at our stop, one friend needed to run to the gym and the other needed to stop at a drug store so I walked the rest of the way alone. It was a super nice day if not a little confusing and definitely tiring.
Heading to bed now! Night!
Sorry, but there's no way in hell I'm updating "Stories" right now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment