Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Muslin, 101 Uses!

Anyone who has ever worked on sewing project of some sort knows that fabric, thread and muslin (for those making practice garments rather than house projects), shit gets everywhere.
You have no idea just how often I have used the muslin lying around my room, my workspace, or classroom for everyday things.
I used muslin to hang my curtains.
Not make the curtains (also easily done), but hang them.
I used real fabric from fabric closet to make them, but used the selvage from a muslin piece to hang it up (strung it through the hole I created and used it as a rod) along with some tacks.
I use it as a hair tie more often than a real elastic because I can always cut a strip if my hair is hanging in my eyes and tie it up in a Cinderella fashion up-do (looking much less like Cinderella, I might add), and often forget it's there until I am home. Then people point at me and laugh.
Other than a hair tie, my absolutely favorite use for muslin is as the poor man's Band-Aid.
When I prick myself (which is often) I bleed (everywhere). More often than not there are no Band-Aids in our "safety kit" kept under the sinks in one of our workrooms and I must mop myself up before I get blood on my papers or worse, all over the expensive fabric I am probably handling at the time. And I say expensive because when you're bleeding, it's always expensive fabric.
So. My momma came up this weekend and brought me a new rug for my room since I told her that my feeties would get cold on the tile (she's so nice to me). Well, a pin got stuck in the carpet. Pointy side up, as always. I was walking and literally kicked my big toe straight into the pin. I started bleeding a lot and knew that if i stood it would get on the new, and apparently treacherous, carpet. I sat on the ground and wondered if I would be able to skooch to my closet where my Band-Aids are kept. Even if I could, they are on the top shelf, meaning I'd have to stand to get them, totally defeating the purpose of sitting in the first place.
I turned to my left and low and behold! My scrap muslin! For the record, there was muslin on my right too, actually it's all over my floor, but my "neat" box of scraps just happened to be to my left. I ripped some muslin and bandaged my injured foot and stopped the bleeding! Hooray!
I mean . . . I am a bleeder so I had to double up, twice, so it wouldn't seep through, but it worked!
I tell you, muslin is amazing, I would highly recommend the product, 5 stars, 2 thumbs up and every other type of high approval rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment