Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Horseface

So I just got out of my 20th Century of Fashion class and I must say that I absolutely love it.
My teacher is a fantastic lecturer and loves conversation within the class.
I started zoning out, however; and noticed that my friend, Brittany, was looking at a muslin tank she had brought with her. She had apparently run out of time to do an entire side seam and was contemplating working on it during the class.
I told her that I do that all the time, you don't need to pay that much attention to the garment if you're just basting or backstitching, and since our teacher is a Fashion professor, I was sure he wouldn't mind anyway. The sewing teachers always prefer a machine stitch, but as someone who enjoys working with her hands, I have a soft spot for any excuse to do a little hand work. I do it all the time, they want a machine stitch, but unless you're doing heavy construction that involves the teacher looking insidethe garment, they will only be looking at the outside fit (this only works if you're on a practice piece, of course).
Suddenly I saw thread on her desk and I started laughing as she threaded her needle and started working on her tank. I told her that I did the same thing with the crotch of the pants I was making last week. There was some very unflattering bunching I didn't notice until I had finished so I quickly seam ripped it and backstitched a new seam rather than head to the next room to use the machine.
I also told her that I was a bad student because I have a new fit for the pants due today (in ten minutes to be exact) and while I did 98% of it last night, I went to bed before doing the second pocket. I could have easily finished but was tired and as I had an hour between that class and sewing I would do it then (which I have). She laughed and told me that I wasn't that terrible since I did do one of the pockets already, which she herself would have skipped.
Anywho, the reason for the title of this post is because we talked about Chanel today, briefly, but I always enjoy Chanel. She was so controversial. It came up that she had a German/Nazi lover during Germany's occupation of France. I had already known this, but people were shocked.
Our teacher reminded us that Chanel was "a great opportunist." She saw Germany had control, so she made love to Germany. Of course once the war was over she was shunned and went into self-exile, but she was able to come back within a couple years and resumed her reign at the top, a remarkable feat in Fashion, a comeback is rarely possible.
I told Brit that one of my teachers Freshmen year always went off about Chanel. She wasn't simply an "opportunist," she was kind of. . . whorey. Chanel would sleep with anything that moved if it meant furthering her business, for Fashion was not an Art for her, it was Business (yes there is a huge difference). But I mean both men and women. And orgies. Really whatever she could get her hands on. My teacher thought this was remarkable, commendable and impressive. Why? Because she had a face like a horse.
I believe this is one of those "well, more power to ya," moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment