Monday, February 13, 2012

Wine and Design Debut!

Sadly, this post is starting off with me already a little miffed!
I am design student and have a jacket due in One Week. The model that has been assigned to me runs her own business, which is very admirable, especially since she has been met with a good amount of success, but unfortunately, her unavailability will soon be impacting my grade.
I meet twice a week for sewing class and all models are supposed to be available during class times on those days, they were told to accept that responsibility when they signed up to be a model for our fashion show. She has already missed three sessions with me and will be missing it again tomorrow as her company is taking priority.
I have had four fittings with her and had alterations done and ready for her last Friday, but she wasn't in, I asked if she would be fine for this Tuesday (tomorrow) and she never answered. I asked again and was greeted with a big, fat "No." She agreed to meet in the middle of the week and Friday is a "maybe" for her. Not acceptable when I haven't been able to cut out my patterns in Self yet, (for those who are unfamiliar with the term, Self is the final outside fabric used in garment/article of clothing). Lets not even talk about the fact that I have not practiced putted in lining in Years and that I actually forgot to buy it over the weekend as well! Just a reminder, this is due in One Week.
My other model is just as bad, but I do not need her presently which is kind of unfortunate as she Is available tomorrow. I can't even switch the models because alterations have already been done for each garment to fit each model specifically.
I swear, if it wasn't morning (I know, it's 3 but I just got up and had breakfast), I would have broken our the wine already! Yes, I am still tempted.
As a college student you always have to find the space between life and alcoholism and draw the damn line. My fellow design student, Ash, always breaks out a wine cooler or Mike's and goes on about how she works better when she has a bit in her, she is not so stressed that every stitch or quarter inch reduction means life or death. I cannot tell you how many times drinking has been the cure for all of our designing ails.
Ash and I once got into a conversation about our working schedules with a man that worked at B&J Fabrics. He was amazed at how little time we have leftover after working so much and he straight up asked what we do when we are not working. We looked at each other, looked at him and simply replied, "Drink."

No comments:

Post a Comment