Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Birthday America!

Hey guys! I hope everyone's have a great 4th of July!
So this week was a lot of fun! I think I'm actually going to start with the weekend though, because that's when all the fun things happened.
I've been meaning to get into the city so that I could swatch and check out some vintage clothes and things like that but it's surprisingly hard to get into the city from Philly if you are like me and don't know how to plan anything.  So I drove home on Friday and jumped on a 7:20 bus to go into the city. Of course everything went wrong right away, I forgot to eat breakfast, the ticket booth was open, my kindle died and I kept getting battery warning from mt iPod. I figured it'd be a pretty long day.
I get in and immediately set out to B&J which only swatches from 9-10. I get all of my swatches and some yards and get to catch up with my favorite sales man there. I've mentioned him once of twice before, he's a lot of fun to chat with. We talked a lot about Disney as he and his family just went on their first trip there together and they loved it. We talked about pets as his son now is obsessed with puppies and we talked about work and school.
Next I walked by B&Q Trimming which I knew was nearby and I picked up some sequins and beads for fabric manipulations. I get a discount there because of my enrollment into the NY School of Burlesque (if you're interested I would definitely check it out) and then made my way to Mood. It was 10:30 when I got there and I was told that they were filming Project Runway inside and that we wouldn't be allowed up for another hour. I was not really in the mood to wait so I made my way up to Pigalle where I always eat.
I got my favorite waiter again but this time was a little awkward.I think he was hitting on me. He didn't charge me and asked how long I was going to be in the city. When I said "just for the day" he said that was too bad and asked when I'd be back. I said I didn't know but he asked if maybe I'd be around in two weeks. I said I don't know, couldn't promise anything but will be back once summer ends. He also seemed sad when I saw I live in Philly right now. I don't know, still very nice but a very strange encounter.
 Rather than head straight back to Mood, I took the subway further down to Cheap Jack's, this really nice/expensive vintage store. I bought 4 dresses from the 60s and a heavily embroidered jacket for both wear and inspiration for about $400. Now that sounds like a lot, and is a lot, but for legitimate vintage dresses, it was a pretty nice deal and I made friends with a bunch of the workers who tried to get my the best deal. I bought two garments at 30% off and the other three were buy 1 get 2 free. After dropping way too much money at one place,, I went back up to Mood, spent maybe 30 minutes there swatches and buying yardage and then caught the bus home.
Crap. I've got to cut this short. I have the fireworks show to go to soon and I should do some school work before then. I'll be back either tonight or tomorrow! Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment