Friday, July 6, 2012

Continuation...

Hey. So I think I'm going to start blogging on Friday instead cause this trying-to-remember-what-I-did-last-week thing is not working out.
So where was I? I covered going into the city...doing nothing on Sunday....
Monday was nice. There was a bridal shower for one of the girls, Amanda, so I picked up some fruit on the way in to contribute to her surprise party. She's getting married tomorrow and we had this huge party all set up. There were about 20 people, a shit ton of food (lots of cheese, chocolate, cake, fruit-awesome) and we had a toilet paper bride contest! I have to say, watching a bunch of people who create clothing for a living making a normally half-assed dress out of toilet paper was ridiculous. There was some seriously, pleating, attempted rouching, layering, accessories, rosettes and even heard a few utterances of "This should really be on the bias..." Our team won dressing up my tech coordinator because it was the only dress that stayed fully intact-it was also awesome (and the one with the rosettes).
After that my team sent me to the Free People building to work with the sweaters team which was a lot of fun since I do know a bit about machine and hand knitting. My boss there was really nice and really good at answering questions and making sure I understood the process-even if it was something I was just sitting in on or watching. Also, since I was no longer in the cafeteria building there were dogs everywhere! They were so cute! I wish we had a dog-friendly building...
On Tuesday I got to meet up with the parents of Alex's Lemonade Stand (both of the little girl Alex and now the corporation), Jay and Liz. They were there to receive the check we were donating to them by way of the stands we put up the first week (did I talk about them? I think so-they were fun). It was them and about 8 of us interns in our cafeteria for lunch and they were so nice. We talked a little about Alex's Lemonade the company and I told them about how involved our high school is (we do a drive every year), but mostly we talked about hobbies. I was sitting closer to Jay and to Liz so I heard a lot about crazy biking marathons and different types of exercise and training but it was all very fun to listen to. I also learned they have three other kids, all boys, the oldest just graduating high school. For those who don't know, Alex was a little girl who in 2000, at the age of four, wanted to start a lemonade stand to help raise money for "her hospital" and to help other kids like her. She raised over $1 million before she passed away in 2004. It's am amazing non-profit foundation and really anyone can set up their own stand to help those with the disease. Here's the site if you want to learn more: http://www.alexslemonade.org/
Wednesday was, of course, the Fourth of July! I was supposed to go to the shore but a member of our party over slept and we missed our teeny window to miss traffic so we just stayed in and I worked on my project. When I wasn't working I was overseeing my drunk housemates. Here's what I learned about America in the meantime:
"Why are you cleaning?"
"For America."

"I'm gonna shotgun this beer."
"Shotgunning a beer over the sink to avoid drippage is not American.."
*Tosses can in the garbage*
"Not recycling: American."  (Don't worry, we ended up recycling).

"I really wanna be drunk but I might puke."
"America will understand."
"I don't know...America's not about loving you for your flaws."

"Corona?! That's a Mexican beer! Today is a Budweiser day! FOR AMERICA!"

"Lets all do a mash up of the Star Spangled Banner for America's birthday."
"...Does anyone know all the lyrics?"
"......"
"AMERICA!"

And so on. It was a pretty American/offensive day all around.

Then there was this GIANT free concert about 25 blocks away so I went to that. I saw Queen Latifah, Joe Jonas (who was actually really good-he sang some Jo-Bro songs solo which I found funny) and Nick even popped out for a bit causing young girls and boys alike to scream and cry. I personally find Joe cuter but I understand that people now see him as douchey (no real argument here), and Nick is more talented. It was like I was in middle-okay, high school again, and it was pretty fun. There was Common, who I'm sorry to say I don't actually know but they're apparently really big and they plated well. Queen Latifah came out again and sang with them which was cool since I missed the beginning of her set. Oh! And before her, whom I also missed, was Roots, who as I also don't know but who are apparently very popular. Then were was Daryl Hall from Hall & Oates who clearly did know and loved.
I'm such a square.
But he was fantastic! He played a really long set too, which was impressive. He played Maneater, Rich Girl, You Make My Dreams Come True and I Can't Go For That. So good. And he was looking pretty AMERICAN too. I mean, when he first came out people were like..."Who's this guy?" And I didn't know what Hall looked like so I took a look and this is what I saw: White older guy. Long blond hair. Blue jeans. A red checkered button down. I said he looked like "Some old white guy. AMERICA!" I mean, I think the statement still holds.
After him was a surprise performance by Lauren Hill-again had no idea who she was. But she was really, really good and looked amazing! She played about 4 songs and then came the fireworks! That's always my favorite part of the Fourth. Seeing the sky light up and feeling the blast in your chest. It's the best. The fireworks were really pretty but with such a large crowd I didn't get the same powerful feeling.
Again, all of this was free (minus the water and food I bought) so I saw this was a pretty fantastic Fourth overall.
Thursday wasn't all that spectacular. A lot of people were out so there wasn't much to do (kind of the opposite of what I had assumed but people got their shit done early) so I read the URBN site and some blogs it advertised. During the work I did have I listened to a Starkid musical play out in the background. I got through both AVPS and B@man so I was pretty happy.
Today I had a little more to do but not much, I sat in on a fitting which was fun. They're not as exciting as I had first assumed but they're still fun to watch and kills a lot of time when there's no work to go around. It's also a good time to socialize with your bosses and even the design teams and get to know everyone so that's good. I had another bi-monthly meeting today and more good things and one not so good thing. This time it had nothing to do with measuring, but one of the girls I'm friends with has had basically no work all week and she's not the most tactful about how she's spending her free time. She watches a lot of Startrek on her computer and that's literally it....Anyway, she's been spending a lot of time at my desk chatting with me and Nat since she has no work and it was brought up that she has been distracting us and that we need to snip that now. Kathy said that she sees me as a hard worker and she doesn't want another intern to get in the way of a successful career for me there, which is nice but I felt bad. I kind of wanted to defend Susan but...it's true. We're at work. And I love when she spending time with me and when she comes over to chat, but just cause she doesn't have work, doesn't mean I don't. I always get it down on time, generally early, and this is a trend that just started this week so I really didn't think it was a big deal but apparently is it. I don't know if her supervisor is going to talk to her now or what but I hope she doesn't get into trouble. It's the supervisor's job to give her work anyway so...
But that was my week. It was good, fun, interesting. On to more school work!
And again, I think this blog is going to start updating on Fridays, so check in!

No comments:

Post a Comment